Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The reality of evil

This afternoon, I read an article about Syrian terrorists bombing a Catholic Church in Baghdad. Many were killed, including two priests, and the parents of a three-year old boy named Adam. As it happened, Adam then followed the terrorists around (inside the church) saying "enough enough enough." They responded by murdering him as well. Re-writing this just acts as yet another wake-up call to the evil in the world; the evil that is lurking in the corners, and the evil that is in plain sight.

I went to see the Voyage of the Dawn Treader (the 5th Narnia book, 3rd movie) last night, and it's kind of all about this too. In the movie, evil is represented as green mist, and it weaves its way through different tempting situations... visually similar to how the serpent would have slithered around the garden of Eden. So at one point, Aslan says "In order to overcome the temptation/evil around you, you first need to overcome the temptation within yourself"
AMEN.

So back to the terrorist article, I was reading it (it goes on a lot to talk about evil in the world/morality) and thinking okay well what do I dooo?! A few different things I think:

I was reminded of a talk I heard at the Halton Pro-Life dinner last month, and sort of placed somewhere in the back of my mind. The founder of 40 Days for Life, David Bereit spoke and he challenged us, saying that even if we are already pro-life activists, there must be more that we can be doing. I could be praying more, I could be donating more money, I could be giving my time to women's shelters, sidewalk counseling.. something. I read lifesitenews everyday, I read about the ever growing evil, but what am I doing about it?
....I'm not sure it's enough to just offer up an intention every few days, in fact I'm pretty sure it's not.

So that's one thing. and.. that's my life, maybe not yours. But I think each of us are called to show greater love, in some capacity. And the love of Christ compelling us.. in terms of overcoming evil, I think is where the power's at. (Backed up by prayer, the Holy Spirit and all that good stuff.)

The other thing I can do, comes from the Aslan suggestion, and that is overcome temptation within myself. If we want to be reflections of Christ in the world, if we want to shine His life,we need to become pure dwelling places for Him. What seems an impossible task, with Christ, becomes possible! PTL.
Evil is real.. as much as I'd love to ignore that fact, it's here, and it's "gaining ground."
Friends, let’s not stand by and watch.

Here's the article (originally found by our lovely Anastasia):
http://www.catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=39519

2 comments:

  1. At risk of overcommenting, I just want to sayyy

    Apt topic. In me, its a call to be a passionate Catholics. When we see and hear all these things- move. Move and be moved!

    The love of Christ compels us- I love that- beautifully put :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your guys blog :) good job!! I'm enjoying reading it! :D

    btw ..i saw Narnia too and it's interesting how they included all those parts about temptation. i'm so glad they kept the symbolism.

    AMEN to your post:)

    ReplyDelete