Saturday, December 4, 2010

As you like it.

I have been blessed. Blessed with a perfect family, a perfect group of friends, roof over my head, food to eat, clothes to wear. I have had the finest group of friends, who challenge me, inspire me and suffer my obnoxious self with joy (or at least they pretend to :P). My family has never left me on my own, supporting me through anything and everything I went through. Never once did I have to feel, by the grace of God, what it means to be forgotten, unloved or alone. I am blessed, abundantly.

A quick reflection on this begs the question, "Why AM I so blessed? Why ME!?!?"
A slightly deeper reflection suggests a possible reason... some people are blessed this much because they need all this to realize the love of God for them! Blessed are they who have been forgotten, who are unloved, who go hungry, and yet realize the love and care of the loving Father! The blessings also offers a greater calling, a calling similar in many aspects to what the Blessed Virgin Mary had.

Advent is a time of preparation, a time of awaiting when I must, realizing God's love for me, should say like our loving Mother "My soul magnifies the Lord .... For He has regarded the low estate of His handmaiden". St Luke chooses a seemingly strange vocabulary to describe Mary's joy, "magnify". Like those of us having trouble reading, uses a magnifying glass to enlarge text, the Blessed Virgin is a glass that magnifies the Word of God! She enlarges and clarifies the goodness of the Lord through Her blessings for those (like me) that find it hard to see His glory.

I hope and pray that this Advent, we all can emulate Mary, awaiting Christ, while magnifying God's work with the blessings He has been gracious enough to provide us with.

In Christ, with love,
Jerin

P.S. I did not know how to title this post... I used Shakespeare's trick =).

No comments:

Post a Comment