Thursday, December 20, 2012

To be stoic or not to be (Sebin!)



By now, you must be accustomed to reading stories and analogies, preparing for Advent. For a change, here is something boring. It is only because I promised to write, and didn't want to walk out of it, though I am four days late.

'to be stoic or not to be' This question, was puzzling my mind for quite a while - let's say, since my childhood. Then, I didn't know what 'stoic' meant but I was very much trying to be so. To be tough, to be a man, to 'suck up' what all there could be, to describe in our own terms, the endurance of a large amount of pain without showing our feelings or complaining.

It is one of the basic things to get rid of, as we become more and more part of a community, especially a Catholic community (Kingdom of God) - because Jesus happened; the Holy Family happened. I was recently reflecting on the Holy Family, and how accepting of their pain they were. When they were knocking on doors when Mary was going through immense pain, they were admitting their situation, of pain, fear, uncertainty - though they had to settle for a manger at the end of the day.

As Christmas gets closer, I invite you to reflect on the areas of our lives that we try to hide from those who we trust, because we feel we can take care of ourselves well or because of a thought that 'it's my problem, I can handle it, no one needs to know'. Let us also offer help for those friends we think might be going through tough events in their life instead of having the "no one cries at a baseball game" kind of attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment